Heidi and Nate opened The American Grilled Cheese Kitchen in May 2010 during the peak of the Great Recession.
Recently laid off from their office jobs, and Heidi just winning her 7th national grilled cheese championship (a hobby!), Heidi and Nate cashed in their savings and decided to go pro.
They were united to fulfill a common Mission:
"To serve exceptional American comfort food using the highest quality local and unique ingredients; with the best possible individualized service."
The American’s menu stems from years of menu development, recipe testing, and deep relationships with San Francisco and the West Coast's local food ecosystem.
Some of our featured local and regional vendors include:
- Wedemeyer Bakery (South San Francisco)
- Tillamook County Creamery Association (Tillamook, OR)
- Golden Gate Meats (San Francisco)
- Zoe's Meats (Santa Rosa, CA)
- Willie Bird Farms (Sonoma, CA)
- Laura Chenel Creamery (Sonoma, CA)
- Point Reyes Creamery (Point Reyes, CA)
- Vegiworks (San Francisco)
- B&R Farms (Hollister, CA)
- Challenge Dairy (Los Angeles, CA)
- Bob's Red Mill (Milwaukee, OR)
- Sir Kensington's stone ground mustards and all-natural ketchups (New York, NY)